The Latvian National Museum of Art or LNMA’s new permanent exposition provides for a comprehensive overview of the Latvian art of the 19th and 20th centuries. This collection is located in the Museum’s historical building on two levels, placed chronologically according to the style of work, to reflect the overall development of art in Latvia, with emphasis on the masterpieces of each period.
The Main Building of the LNMA on Kr.Valdemara Street, designed by Wilhelm Neumann (1905), is among the most impressive samples of the Historicism style in Riga’s Boulevard-Ring. It is an architectural monument of national importance. A groundbreaking edifice of its day, it was designed to meet the needs of a large scale gallery.
The majestic facade was made in Baroque and Classicism in tandem with the frontal sculptural ensemble, which is the work of Augustus Folz. Exquisite Art Nouveau elements decorate the staircase railings.
Six oval murals by Latvian master painter Vilhelms Purvitis and Estonian master painter Gerhard von Rosen grace the foyer of the upper floor.